Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pink Palace Museum

I went to the Pink Palace for the first time in years this weekend. They are doing free memberships this summer, if you want to check it out. Membership to the Palace also gets you in to the Lichterman Nature Center, as well as a couple other places (I think).

Due to financial stain, the planetarium is now closed on Sundays and Mondays. We'll have to go back to see that. They also have several Imax movies playing now, but we didn't go to any of them. Next time!

For anyone not in Memphis, the Palace is a museum now. It was originally built as a house by the founder of Piggly Wiggly. (The last picture explains it all....) It now houses permenant Memphis related exhibits, as well as traveling exhibits. The house still has a pink hue to it, although the stones have faded some. It's set on a huge treed lot in the middle of Memphis (near my home) and is sort of a forgotten about museum for a lot of Memphians.

Check out all the details on their website here.
















1 comment:

ramblings_river said...

I haven't been in quite some time, but it's definitely a Memphis treasure. I was a Chi O at Rhodes, and I always thought it was really cool that our house used to sit on the grounds of the Pink Palace. I believe it was the original owner's kids' playhouse.